12 Simple Ways to Promote Your Small Business Online
1. In your emails, develop a little minisignature.
I have something like the following on the bottom of my emails:
I use a similar, but shortened, version of that signature on online forums I frequent. Anyone
who has any online correspondence with me should have no trouble finding my website.
2. Advertise in local newspapers.
Naturally you can put more information on a website than you can in, say, an ad in the
newspaper. But guess what? There are some people that will read the newspaper first and
go to the Internet second. So use the newspaper ad to direct people to your website.
3. Always carry your business cards
Of course, you should always carry a business card with you. Having your website address
on your card is a must. Just like in your ad, there’s much more room on your website for
information than there is on your business card. And if you have pictures of yourself on the
website, people who have forgotten exactly who you were will have their memory jogged.
4. Send postcards
Start a paper newsletter. Although there are printing costs and postage costs involved with a
hard copy newsletter, it will spread the word about your website to people who are not
otherwise online on a regular basis.
5. Send email newsletters
Start an email newsletter. Have a place on your website where people can sign up for the
latest updates on your business. Just make sure that you include unsubscribe information as
well. Personally, I send out copies of our blog at www.GetASiteOnline. com to those who
sign up for it.
6. Write an article
Write articles in your field of expertise, and include a link to your website. Publish the articles
to sites like www.ezinearticles. com and www.goarticles.com. You can also use them to start
a blog with advice for potential clients and customers.
7. Exchange links with other website owners
Exchange links with related websites. Make sure that they are not directly competing with
you but have the same target audience that you do. You can exchange text links or banner
8. Submit to Industry Directories
Submit your website to relevant directories. If you have a vacation home in New Mexico, search the web
for “vacation home New Mexico.” Look through the first two pages of results and contact all
the website owners that have sites listing multiple vacation homes in New Mexico. Give them
the info about your vacation home and about your site, and see if they’ll list it.
9. Find alternative ways of marketing
Find unusual ways to promote your website that are specific to your business. An arcade we
do a website for prints their website address on their redemption tickets. Another client
includes it in their monthly publication. Yet another has an infomercial.
10. Comment on blogs that related to your business
Find popular blogs that are related to your website’s subject. Frequently post
feedback and be sure to include your website’s address. Be sure that the feedback is genuine
and useful, so it is not viewed as spamming. Give helpful comments often, and others will visit your website.
11. Write an E-book
Write an ebook. You should be well versed in the topic of your website. Do what I did with
this very book. Write an ebook on your subject of expertise. Publish it, allowing anyone to
use and reproduce it, as long as they leave it unchanged. Make sure you have a few links to
your website throughout the ebook.
Let everyone in your network know that the ebook is out and where they can download it.
This ebook, for example, can be downloaded at www.GetASiteOnline. com, among other
12. Give away Freebies
Have a giveaway. Give something away that would be of value to visitors of your website.
Then post information about your giveaway on various website, including www.onlinesweepstakes.
Remember, promote, promote, promote! The more links to your website that are out there,
the more business you can get. Try to spend at least two hours a week promoting your
by Anton Potapenko
Recent Blog Updates
- 18 Oct. | 10 Reasons Why You’re Losing Your Facebook Fans
- 28 Aug. | CMS vs. non-CMS websites: Finding your perfect match
- 17 Dec. | Not sure how to make your landing page perfect? Here are a few tips that will get you set on the right track!
- 11 Dec. | Infographics have seen an increase of 800% in search volumes over the last two years. Read on to see why they really work when it comes to marketing YOUR business.
- 3 Dec. | The holidays are fast approaching and 52% of shoppers are buying their gifts online! If you’re an online store owner, here is how you can capitalize on sales around this time of year
- 26 Nov. | Need to organize your life? 8 Ways to make your life easier with Google Calendar!
- 1 Nov. | 29 Ways to Collect Email Addresses for Your Business
- 27 Sep. | How to change DNS (Nameservers) in GoDaddy
- 20 Sep. | 12 Simple Ways to Promote Your Small Business Online
- 5 Mar. | How to Use Videos to Help Promote Your Website
- 26 Feb. | Simplicity Sells
- 19 Feb. | “Advertising 101 for Business Owner” Sell Better by Being Specific
- 19 Feb. | “Advertising 101 for Business Owner” Psychology of Selling
- 15 Feb. | “Advertising 101 for Business Owner” Interest People in Your Product or Service with Laser-Sharp Headlines
- 11 Feb. | “Advertising 101 for Business Owner” Offer Service not Prices