A website is not only about generating more sales – it has a lot to do with your brand image as well. Even simple mistakes in your website design may frustrate visitors! How can you have a website that welcomes visitors and encourages them to sample what’s on offer? Just do these simple things…
1. Focus on content-we know it’s not about the website design. But face it-if you offer mud on a gold platter, it is still mud! The content you put on your website should be useful and interesting to your visitor. Even the best website designs will fail if you cannot provide useful content on every page.
2. Minimize the ads- would you turn on the TV to view the commercials only? Ditto for your website! We’ve come across websites that had little else! If you can avoid advertisements, do so at all costs. If not, confine it to about 25% of the page only. Anything more- and your visitor may flee before your page has finished loading!
3. Avoid these distractions- sounds and animations are a big no no if you want your visitor to really stay at the site. Think about it-would you be able to concentrate on a newspaper if there were flying objects all around you? Your animations and pop ups have a likewise effect! It’s especially annoying for people who have slow connections-look at the amount you are forcing them to download!
Scrolling text has a similar effect. You just assume that the speed of the text is something your visitor is comfortable with-not the best of assumptions at all times!
4. Avoid image backgrounds- they are amateurish to say the least!
5. A wrong focus- a website should be about the visitor. It should keep HIS needs and comforts in mind. It is not really about how cool and technically advanced YOU are!
Remember these tips when you are designing your website- and you are sure to see the improvement in your conversion rates!